10.21.2009

Two Years of Dance!

This month marks my second year of dancing. It's amazing to see how far I've come in the past two years...

So far, I have reached the preliminary championship level. It took so much hard work, but it was worth it, especially since I'm doing something I love. While I've only had one prelim feis, I feel like I'm finally where I need to be, and competing aganist people who challenge my dancing ability. Being in prelim means I actually have to work hard to achieve a spot on the podium, whereas before, placing was almost a given.
"You can do anything in life you set your mind to, provided it's powered by your heart."
I have had two solo dresses, and it's interesting to really experience the confidence gained when you KNOW a dress looks awesome on you, verses just the thrill of purchasing that first solo. My pink one did me well for the grades, and I think the blue one suits me perfectly for the championship levels.


It's a bit funny to think I have only been competing for a bit over a year now. Just to have gotten to where I'm at astonishies me when I really sit down and think about it. I remember working so hard in all of the 13 gymnstics I took, just to qualify as an alternate for the eastern national team. Here in Irish dance, I have gotten an award at everys single feis I've gone to, except for my latest feis (which I understand, I was thrilled to not get last). That being said, I've made quite a collection of shiny objects:


Coming into Irish dance, I feel like I've had an a bit of an advantage. Since I started as a college student, I had 19 years to get used to my body and how to manipulate it, as opposed to the cute, but flailing, seven year old dancer. I know about perseverance and how to keep myself motivated from my years as a gymnast. I also retained quite a bit of my flexibility, strength, and agility that I worked hard to achieve in gymnastics. Having quite a few years of dance training in other disciplines have helped out too.
"Great dancers aren't great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion." -Charles Baudelaire
Goals: Practice for Culkin/SRO
Days till os: 44

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog. Very nicely written, and definitely sincere!

    Good luck as you prepare for your O!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...