photo Headhome2.jpg  photo Headabout2.jpg  photo Headhistory2.jpg  photo Headtutorials2.jpg  photo Headglossary2.jpg  photo Headcontact2.jpg

10.21.2009

Two Years of Dance!

This month marks my second year of dancing. It's amazing to see how far I've come in the past two years...

So far, I have reached the preliminary championship level. It took so much hard work, but it was worth it, especially since I'm doing something I love. While I've only had one prelim feis, I feel like I'm finally where I need to be, and competing aganist people who challenge my dancing ability. Being in prelim means I actually have to work hard to achieve a spot on the podium, whereas before, placing was almost a given.
"You can do anything in life you set your mind to, provided it's powered by your heart."
I have had two solo dresses, and it's interesting to really experience the confidence gained when you KNOW a dress looks awesome on you, verses just the thrill of purchasing that first solo. My pink one did me well for the grades, and I think the blue one suits me perfectly for the championship levels.


It's a bit funny to think I have only been competing for a bit over a year now. Just to have gotten to where I'm at astonishies me when I really sit down and think about it. I remember working so hard in all of the 13 gymnstics I took, just to qualify as an alternate for the eastern national team. Here in Irish dance, I have gotten an award at everys single feis I've gone to, except for my latest feis (which I understand, I was thrilled to not get last). That being said, I've made quite a collection of shiny objects:


Coming into Irish dance, I feel like I've had an a bit of an advantage. Since I started as a college student, I had 19 years to get used to my body and how to manipulate it, as opposed to the cute, but flailing, seven year old dancer. I know about perseverance and how to keep myself motivated from my years as a gymnast. I also retained quite a bit of my flexibility, strength, and agility that I worked hard to achieve in gymnastics. Having quite a few years of dance training in other disciplines have helped out too.
"Great dancers aren't great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion." -Charles Baudelaire
Goals: Practice for Culkin/SRO
Days till os: 44

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous23.10.09

    What a great blog. Very nicely written, and definitely sincere!

    Good luck as you prepare for your O!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...